My kids love the idea of creating video games, apps, web pages and other creative endeavors. I thought I would share some of the sites we use for this purpose.
1. Code Academy http://www.codecademy.com/
2. Code.org (Hour of Code) http://code.org/learn
Great introduction to the tenets of programming using scratch and other resources. (Hour of Code is over, but all tutorials are still available.) Make phone / tablet apps and other cool stuff. FREE
3. Khan Academy
Learn about computer drawing and animation here https://www.khanacademy.org/cs
learn about Python programming here https://www.khanacademy.org/science/computer-science-subject/computer-science (both are FREE)
4. Source Filmmaker http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com/
Learn about how to make 3D animation and cinematics. FREE
5. RPG Maker http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/
Make your own roleplaying games. FREE
6. Game Maker Studio https://www.yoyogames.com/studio
Learn how to make platformer games for any configuration. Free version available.
7. Xtreme Worlds http://mmorpgmaker.org/program-downloads/
Make your own MMORPG! Free version available.
8. Minecraft.edu http://minecraftedu.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Find lesson plans for Minecraft applications (everyone’s favorite) FREE
9. Gimp http://www.gimp.org/
Free design software for any use. FREE
10. Construct 2 https://www.scirra.com/construct2
Construct 2 is a powerful ground breaking HTML5 game creator designed specifically for 2D games. It allows anyone to build games — no coding required!
I hope this helps you and your little “techie-head” to find some technology that helps them express their creative side!