The twelve most respected knights of Charlemagne’s court in the late eighth century were known as the Paladins, renown for their honor, strength and conduct. Many hundreds of years has passed since that time, and the world is in need, once again, of heroes of legend. These young people must be tested by trials and prove they have what it takes to wear the Paladin moniker.
It is with this lens that we invite kids to participate in this living adventure game. These trails will test their strength, their quick thinking skills, and their inner character. This format includes a trauma informed approach to curriculum development and leader training. The format embeds positive behavior reinforcements to promote desired outcomes in social emotional learning.
Participants are recruited to become the elite guardians of the city of Perseverance, a futuristic metropolis that hides important keys to the answers of the universe. These keys have put the city in danger and the Paladins must be trained to defend the city from those who seek to destroy them. Paladins are especially chosen because they have the potential to learn the skills and defend the city.
Will they overcome the obstacles and earn their wings? The Ruler of the Capitol of Perseverance is counting on them to do just that!
This 6 week, 90 minute blaster battle program (2 hours with setup and level up time each week) will feature themed games that will help participants learn important social skills through unique challenges and scaffolded practice.
Participants will get a choice of player types to choose from that would give them bonuses in certain fighting abilities. Kids always love these choices because it makes them feel like their part of a living video game.
- Sharpshooter – Ability = Counter shot: player may shoot back at the person who tagged them out for a chance to save themselves
- Specialist – Ability = Melee: player gets the option to use foam melee weapons
- Tank – Ability = Armor: player can take more damage than others
- Scrapper – Ability = Spree: tagging out multiple opposing players out in succession gains player temporary armor bonus
- Medic – Ability = Field Support: player may revive fellow teammates
- Engineer – Ability = Heavy Lifting: player gets ability to move bunkers
Additional bonuses are earned over time as the players “level up” by learning and practicing social skills in the game.
Social Emotional Learning Targets
Each week would emphasize a different target social emotional or executive function skill. These challenges are put into a story format that progresses over the six weeks with news from the Capitol or commendations and encouragement from the city’s leader.
- Flexible thinking – multiple approaches to the same challenge type (Badge earned: Dauntless)
- Relationship Building – figure out who has the right skills for these challenges (Badge earned: Fidelity)
- Teamwork – Challenges can only be met with everyone’s help (Badge earned: Loyalty)
- Communication – Attempts to solve challenge will only succeed if they talk to each other (Badge earned: Deliverance)
- Problem solving – Multi-step challenges and puzzles (Badge earned: Tenacity)
- Organizational skills – A gauntlet of challenges that lead to a discovery when put in the right order (Badge earned: Clarity)
Mastermind Adventures has been creating unique living adventure games for kids and teens for the past 7 years. Many of these programs include battle sports like Nerf blaster games, foam sword games and dodge ball variants among other things. We combine these movement activities with storytelling and problem solving challenges inspired by books, video games and pop culture. This format is used to teach participants academic skills, social emotional skills and self-confidence.
We can provide examples of some of our past programs that focus on social skills, team building and problem solving upon request. We use game theory and positive behavior supports that keep kids engaged and focused on personal growth. Our programs are designed with a trauma informed approach and a focus on friendship building, flexible thinking and cooperation.